Most Active Stories
- The Story Behind The Giant Fiberglass Penguin At Kansas City's Penguin Park
- FBI And State Auditor Investigating St. Joseph School District
- St. Joseph School District Braces For Fallout In Wake Of Federal Investigation
- Missouri’s E-Cigarette Veto Override May Lead To Showdown With FDA
- Meet The People Waiting In Line For The IKEA Opening
Up To Date
Thu June 26, 2014
Students Lose Seats At Allen Fieldhouse After Vote To Cut Athletics Fee
Earlier this month the University of Kansas athletics department announced that Section U, a 120-seat area of Allen Fieldhouse previously reserved for students, would be reallocated to donor seating. The decision was a direct response to an attempt by the Student Senate to cut the mandatory athletics fee charged to all KU students.
On Thursday's, Up to Date, we talk with student reporter Ben Carroll for a look at the timeline of events leading up to the decision and how it's being perceived by Jayhawk fans.
Ben Carroll, is a KU journalism student who covered the Section U story for the University Daily Kansan.
KU Athletics Department's Response
We invited the University of Kansas athletics department to participate in this conversation. Jim Marchiony, Associate Director for Public Affairs sent this email: “With all the great things that are going on at Kansas Athletics, and all the important things that are going on in college athletics, we have no inclination to spend 20 minutes talking about a relatively inconsequential decision that will affect a grand total of 120 out of 4,000 attendees at KU basketball games.”