Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Fri February 22, 2013
Resolution In Kansas House Opposes Medicaid Expansion
Kansas lawmakers are considering a resolution that would underscore the Legislature's opposition to a proposed expansion of Medicaid programs. House Speaker Ray Merrick, a Stilwell Republican, says he doesn't support making the state's health care program bigger.
“I don’t think we ought to be accepting federal dollars when the federal government’s broke,” Merrick said. “And I’m not willing to sign on to something with the promise down the line that the money’s always going to be there.”
Merrick says the resolution, while not carrying the force of law, is a way for lawmakers to express their opinion on the matter.
The final decision will be up to Kansas Governor Sam Brownback, who has yet to announce anything.
Follow KCUR health news on Twitter.