Fri June 13, 2014
Food Critics: The Best Cocktails In Kansas City
Many people enjoy a glass of wine or a beer to loosen up, but sometimes those just don't quite do the trick. From Moscow Mules to Brandy Alexanders, a good cocktail can be a great companion to a nice meal or a casual social event.
On Friday's Central Standard, guest host Charles Ferruzza is joined by the Food Critics to find out where the best cocktails in Kansas City are.
Here are their picks for cocktails at restaurants and bars:
- "The Smoking Dun"— Gram & Dun, 600 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Mo.
- "Smokin' Choke"— Manifesto, 1924 Main St., Kansas City, Mo.
- "King Street Punch," juleps, and "Oaxacan Sunrise"— Julep Cocktail Club, 4141 Pennsylvania, Suite 104, Kansas City, Mo.
- Mojito — Marina Grog and Galley, 22 A St., Lee's Summit, Mo.
- "Stoli Doli"— The Capital Grille, 4740 Jefferson St., Kansas City, Mo.
- "The Beet Goes On"— The American, 200 E. 25th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Horsefeather— Harry's Bar and Tables, 501 Westport Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
- Moscow Mule— Remedy, 500 W. 75th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- "Truman-hattan"— Providence at The President, 1329 Baltimore in The President Hotel, Kansas City, Mo.
- Majestic, 931 Broadway, Kansas City, Mo.
- Thomas Restaurant, 1815 W. 39th St., Kansas City, Mo.
- Princess Garden, 8906 Wornall Rd., Kansas City, Mo.
Here are some cocktails that you can make yourself:
- "The Usual"— Buffalo Trace, Aperol, tangerine juice, simple syrup, aromatic bitters, and orange bitters.
- Moscow Mule— vodka, ginger beer, and lime, served in a copper mug.
- "The Dad's Double"— double whiskey, tonic water, and bitters.
- "The Dirty Bourbon Sidecar"— Maker's mark, simple brown sugar syrup, and lemon San Pellegrino.
- Emily Farris, food blogger and creative director for Feed Me Creative.
- Chris Becicka, food critic and co-author of You Can't Kill All the Men (Recipes for Business Leaders).
- Mary Bloch, food critic and blogger for Around the Block.
READ MORE: Learn how to infuse your cocktails with smoky flavor from this handy article from Huffington Post.
Central Standard Fridays
Food and Drink