Most Active Stories
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Mon December 3, 2012
Flu Season Starts In Kansas City
Flu season is getting underway. According to Dr. Christopher Harrison at Children’s Mercy Hospital, it’s here early.
“Starting about two weeks ago, we saw an uptick in influenza like illnesses, and then when that happens, people start testing specifically for it. And we have seen what would be if we were, say, in years past, the kind of levels we would normally see around Christmas time,” says Harrison.
Harrison says an early arrival of the flu has in past years been a sign of a more severe season.
Compounding that, he says, there’s a new strain this year, so a greater number of people – children especially – don’t have basic immunity to it. The strain, however, is included in this year’s flu shot.
Missouri has confirmed about 2,000 flu cases so far this year. The Kansas City Missouri health department has yet to confirm any cases, but says the flu often hits the eastern part of the state first.
Follow KCUR health news on Twitter.