Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Up to Date
Wed September 11, 2013
Finding A Housing Refuge
If you saw a school bus stop to pick up children at a motel, what would you think? One Kansas City man who saw just that decided to help.
In the first part of Thursday's Up to Date, we talk with John Wiley, the founder of River of Refuge, a group that aims to aid families who have gotten stuck in these weekly motels without the means to transition to an apartment or other stable living situation. Local mom Shanta Wallace, who has used River of Refuge's services to help her family; and Nan Roman, President and CEO of the National Alliance to End Homelessness, also join us.
Event Information: River of Refuge will hold its 2nd annual fundraiser on Saturday, September 21, from 6 - 11 p.m. at the Hilton Garden Inn in Independence. More information is available here.