The holidays are a great time to buy local, especially when it comes to picking out a great bottle of wine.
In the past 20 years, Missouri’s wine industry has grown in size and sophistication, with more than 100 wineries throughout the state.
On Tuesday's Up to Date, master sommelier Doug Frost, of Kansas City, Mo., will talk about one of his favorite subjects — local and regional wines.
Here are some of his top 10 picks out of Kansas and Missouri in the past year:
- LBV Brut (Sparkling) and Vignoles 2013 from Les Bourgeois Vineyards — 14020 West Hwy BB, Rocheport, Mo.
- Vignoles 2013 from Jowler Creek — 16905 Jowler Creek Road, Platte City, Mo.
- Vignoles 2012 from Hermannhof Vineyards — 330 E. 1st Street, Hermann, Mo.
- Seyval Blanc 2013 from Montelle Winery — 201 Montelle Drive, Augusta, Mo.
- Vidal Blanc 2013 from Augusta Winery — 5601 High Street, Augusta, Mo.
- Cynthiana from Holy-Field Winery — 18807 158th Street, Basehor, Kan.
- Late Harvest Vignoles 2013 and Cross J Norton 2012 from Stone Hill Winery — various locations.
- Signature Port from Adam Puchta Winery — 1947 Frene Creek Road, Hermann, Mo.