Missouri Valley Special Collection / Kansas City Public Library

A fire at the historic Hotel Savoy in downtown Kansas City, Mo., late Thursday damaged several floors of the building, which used to be known as a frequent stop for several U.S. presidents.

Firefighters told KSHB 41 Action News that the fire started due to "inattentive cooking" in the Savoy Grill. There were no customers in the restaurant at the time. Residents of the apartments above evacuated without injury. 

A  Jackson County grand jury has declined to file charges against a  Kansas City, Mo., police officer in the 2013 shooting death of a firefighter.

The criminal case is closed in the Dec. 1, 2013, death of Anthony Bruno.

Bruno and the policeman struggled during a brawl leading to the shooting on a downtown street. There had been a dispute over cab fare outside Bruno’s wedding reception party. The pair fought and struggled on the pavement as the officer tried to arrest Bruno.

Courtesy / Kansas City Irish Fest

Fire can take your life, your home, your car, and your loved ones before you know it. For a century and a half, a certain kind of person has signed up to fight fire in Kansas City, and to try to keep catastrophe at bay. On Central Standard Friday, we’ll talk about fire – the kind of fire that has destroyed buildings and lives – as well as the firefighters whose job it has been to minimize the damage.


It’s been more than 18 years since KCI had a deadly jet crash. But the crash of a jet at SFO in San Fransisco, Calif. last month is still fresh in the minds of the KCI airport firefighting crew.

Right next to KCI on the former TWA overhaul base, there is a boneyard of old planes, parts of them on pavement. One is an engineless 727 jet and airport Fire Chief Matt Mauer has just had a special crash truck spray it down with fire suppressing foam.

Elana Gordon / KCUR

Police say investigation of the fire that gutted a Plaza restaurant that killed one person and injured 15 others will take a bit longer than some expected.

Explosion At JJ's Thundered Through Plaza

Feb 20, 2013
Dan Verbeck / KCUR

At least one explosion thundered through the west edge of the County Club Plaza district  just after 6 p.m. Tuesday, sending more than a dozen people to hospitals. Some are critically injured. There was ample evidence pointing to natural gas as cause.

Two hours after fire took what was left of the explosion-ripped building, the smell of  gas was rich in the nostrils. As many as five hours before the explosion tore apart JJ’s Restaurant, there were accounts of people smelling natural gas in the area, around and to the east of the popular gathering spot.

Fire Hits Plaza Business

Feb 19, 2013
KMBC, TV-9 News

A fire caused by an apparent gas explosion near JJ's Restaurant on the Country Club Plaza has sent at least 14 people to area hospitals with injuries, some of them critical. The fire started around 6:00 Tuesday evening.  

Update 7:07 PM.  Residents from a nearby apartment building were evacuated.  Some are reporting that there was a strong smell of gas earlier in the afternoon. One resident of the nearby building also told reporters someone was operating a backhoe in the area earlier in the afternoon. 

Kansas City Fire Department

Local fire departments warn drought conditions are producing grass and brush fire hazards in the metropolitan area.

Final Alarm for Shawnee Firefighter

May 27, 2010

Leawood, Kan. – Firefighters from around the Midwest joined colleagues, friends and family of Shawnee Firefighter John Glaser today at his memorial service. Glaser was killed fighting a house fire this past weekend.

Eulogies at a Leawood, Kansas church centered on common themes: Call to duty, commitment to country and commitment to community.

John Glaser died inside a burning house as he searched for occupants. Shawnee Fire Chief Jeff Hudson came up through the ranks and knew intimately the conditions Glaser faced in the heat and smoke.