Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
Thu November 6, 2008
The World According to Baxter Black
Author, cowboy poet and NPR Commentator Baxter Black stopped by the KCUR studios for a chat about his latest book, "The World According to Baxter Black: Quips, Quirks & Quotes."
By Up to Date
Kansas City, MO – Baxter Black was born in the Naval Hospital in Brooklyn, New York but grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico where he participated in the FFA and rode bulls in high school and college. His view on being a cowboy is, "You either are one, or you aren't. You never have to decide." While Black's professional life has seen him go from veterinarian to poet, he has remained true to his cowboy calling.
KCUR's Stephen Steigman talked with Black about Baxter's new book "The World According to Baxter Black: Quips, Quirks & Quotes." They talked about a few of his own quirks including not accepting awards, a dislike for brownies and much more.