Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Sun August 31, 2008
Women of a New Tribe at KC Library
The Kansas City Public Library is currently home to a traveling photography exhibit by east coast photographer Jerry Taliaferro. In a society that tends to prize a European standard of beauty, these black and white photos highlight the inner fortitude and beauty of black women.
By Susan B. Wilson
Kansas City, MO – Some Kansas City women are included in the exhibit, and local women also participated in a panel discussion titled The Trials and Triumphs of Today's Black Woman. Among the panel discussion members were Kansas City Star columnist Jenee Osterheldt, quilt artist Sonie Ruffin, UMKC Upward Bound Director Natasha Ria El-Scari, KPRS 103.3 FM radio personality Dyan Devereaux, Public Health Specialist Shalena Prude, and Krystal McFedders of the NAACP. Here are some excerpts from that discussion, and some conversations after the panel.
The "Women of a New Tribe" photo exhibit can be viewed at the Kansas City Public Library - Central Branch through Sunday September 7, 2008. There are more upcoming events connected to the show.