Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Fri December 18, 2009
Wizards President: 'We're Moving To Kansas'
Kansas City, MO – The President of the Kansas City Wizards soccer team says work will start next week on a new stadium near the NASCAR track in Wyandotte County. That's bad news for Kansas City officials, who had, until recently, still hoped to lure the project back to the old Banister Mall area.
Wizards President Robb Heinemann says he's confident that nearly 150-million dollars in bonds backed by the state of Kansas can be sold. He says lots of details, like the final design of a 18,500 seat sodium, remain to be addressed but with the bond sales beginning, work will commence within days.
"All the agreements aren't signed, and we're going to have to work through a bunch of those in the coming weeks, but we're confident enough that, starting next week, you're going to see yellow machines out on site moving dirt around."
Heinemann says the team's goal of playing games at the new stadium by the middle of the 2011 season necessitates an aggressive schedule for site preparation.