Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Tue September 21, 2010
Winning Team Selected For St. Louis Arch Redesign
An eight-member design jury has chosen the winning team in the St. Louis Arch redesign competition. As St. Louis Public Radio's Adam Allington reports, the winning team has a deep background in designing urban parks.
By Adam Allington, St. Louis Public Radio
St. Louis, MO – The official announcement actually came Tuesday instead of Friday, after the news was leaked to multiple bloggers.
Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates is the winning team.
The firm has worked on a variety of high-profile urban parks including Brooklyn Bridge Park in New York and the Don River Park in Toronto.
For St. Louis, MVVA is proposing a green capped lid over Interstate 70, that does not include the removal of Memorial Drive.
Other features of the plan include a beer garden, a bird sanctuary and an ice-skating rink, as well as removing the parking garage at the north end of the park and replacing it with an amphitheater.