Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Tue March 16, 2010
Voices From The Meeting That Closed 26 KCMO Schools
Kansas City, Mo. – Dramatic change came to the Kansas City, Missouri school district this week. After months of research and community meetings, the school board voted 5 to 4 to close 26 schools. It was a harrowing vote for all the school board members, and more than 40 years of Kansas City's history with its school district came up in the final public discussion.
Hear some voices from the meeting in this order: board members Duane Kelley, Cokethea Hill, Kansas City Federation of Teachers President Andrea Flinders, and board members Joel Pelofsky and Marilyn Simmons.