Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu December 20, 2012
Topic Of Mayors' Letter: Gun Violence
Kansas City Mayor Sly James is among the latest to sign a letter being sent the President and Congress. The subject: gun and ammunition control.
The letterhead is the United States Conference of Mayors. Sly James added his to the names of Chicago’s Rahm Emanuel, New York City's Michael Bloomberg, and others.
Speaking of themselves, the Mayors say in the letter, more frequently than in the school shooting horror in Newtown, Connecticut, many city executives must cope with gun violence.
Mayor James says he understands some like combat style rifles for target shooting or competition.
" That’s fine. I don’t have a problem with that," James says. "But the fact of the matter is, those weapons were manufactured for one purpose and one purpose only. That’s killing people. That’s why they’re called 'assault weapons.'"
The letter calls for a stronger national background check with tightened loopholes for gun sales. Included are tougher penalties for straw purchases of guns.
Up to Date