Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Mon April 30, 2007
Three Dead at Kansas City Mall Shooting
By Frank Morris
Kansas City, MO – Three people died at a mall in Kansas City after a gunman opened fire, apparently targeting victims at random. KCUR's Frank Morris reports.
Witnesses say a middle aged man pulled into the Ward Parkway Shopping Center parking lot and promptly shot and killed people on either side of his car. He kept shooting what police describe as a long gun, and walked into the shopping center wounding at least two others in the process. As horrified shoppers streamed out of the building, area police, and mall security officers confronted man, and killed him.
By the time he pulled into the mall, police were already looking for the shooter. He was driving a car they believe he stole from an elderly woman found dead in her home earlier Sunday afternoon. An officer had stopped the suspect, in the car, just before the mall rampage. The man opened fire on the policeman, shot him through the arm, and managed to get away. 15 minutes later police had calls of shots fired at the mall.