Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Fri May 2, 2008
Sunday Deadline for Affirmative Action Petition Looms
By Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – Sunday is the deadline for a petition to ban most affirmative action programs in the state of Missouri. The ballot measure would prohibit state-funded agencies and colleges from using race or gender as factors in hiring, admissions and scholarship decisions. Opponents of the measure say people are signing petitions without really understanding the issue. But circulators say that those opponents are trying to thwart the petition process. KC Currents' Sylvia Maria Gross went to a strip mall in Independence to watch one petition circulator at work.
Listen to a previous story about issues surrounding affirmative action, when California businessman Ward Connerly and former US Civil Rights Commission Chair Mary Frances Berry.