Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon January 26, 2009
Sprint Lays Off 8,000 Workers
Kansas City, MO – Cell phone carrier Sprint Nextel will lay off some 8000 workers by the end of March.
- - - - -
The current round of layoffs comes on the heels of more than 4-thousand Sprint employees losing their jobs late last year. Sprint has struggled over the past year losing customers and more than 1 billion dollars in the first three quarters. Sprint spokeswoman Laura Lisic says the job cuts are aimed at shoring up the nation's number three cell phone company.
LAURA LISIC: "Sprint is feeling the impact of a struggling economy and we need to remain competitive. And we need to be leaner, and we need to remain strong."
Sprint plans to cut jobs at every level, saving some one-point-two billion dollars a year. Those remaining at Sprint will also feel the pinch. The company has frozen salaries and will suspend matches to worker's retirement account.