Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Mon August 22, 2005
Sprint Arena Design / Kansas City Missouri Mayor Kay Barnes
By Steve Kraske / Stephen Steigman
Kansas City, MO – A Crystal Bowl' Arena
That's how the Kansas City Missouri Mayor Kay Barnes described the design for our city's new downtown arena after architects unveiled their final plans for the Sprint Center. The curving building - a combination of transparent glass and steel - will allow patrons to see Kansas City's skyline from the inside, and reflections of it from the outside.
Today host Steve Kraske welcomes Kansas City Star development reporter Kevin Collison, Steve Allison, a Senior Project Architect with the Downtown Arena Design Team, and Reeves Weideman, president of the AIA Kansas City. They'll discuss the arena's design, features, and place in Kansas City's skyline.
In the second half we'll talk with Kansas City Missouri Mayor Kay Barnes about development around the arena - including an entertainment district - and her hopes of attracting a major-league basketball or hockey team to occupy the new space.