Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon November 10, 2008
South America in Kansas City - Sons of Brasil
The bossa nova craze hit the US in the late 50's, and ever since then, that mellow Brazilian groove has been a standard part of many jazz musicians' repertoire. But when Kansas City musicians Stan Kessler, Doug Auwater, Danny Embrey and Greg Whitfield formed the Sons of Brasil in 1991, they were determined to dig deeper into the rhythmic soul of the country.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – KC Currents' Alex Smith recently sat down with trumpeter Stan Kessler and percussionist Doug Auwater to talk about the music. Auwater said that despite his background in jazz, it was actually Brazilian pop music that really sparked his passion.
The release party for their new CD While You Were Out is Thursday, November 13th at Jardine's.