Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon November 10, 2008
South America in Kansas City - Sons of Brasil
The bossa nova craze hit the US in the late 50's, and ever since then, that mellow Brazilian groove has been a standard part of many jazz musicians' repertoire. But when Kansas City musicians Stan Kessler, Doug Auwater, Danny Embrey and Greg Whitfield formed the Sons of Brasil in 1991, they were determined to dig deeper into the rhythmic soul of the country.
By Alex Smith
Kansas City, MO – KC Currents' Alex Smith recently sat down with trumpeter Stan Kessler and percussionist Doug Auwater to talk about the music. Auwater said that despite his background in jazz, it was actually Brazilian pop music that really sparked his passion.
The release party for their new CD While You Were Out is Thursday, November 13th at Jardine's.