Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- KCUR Announces New Host For Daily Talk Show 'Central Standard'
Sun August 3, 2008
Senator Dole To Host Health Care Forum
Bob Dole, the former Kansas senator, will be at the Dole Institute of Politics in Lawrence today to hear what Kansans have to say about health-care reform. KCUR's Elana Gordon reports.
The former Senator is hosting an afternoon long discussion on the role of the individual within the U.S. health care system. The event is part of Senator Dole's work with three other former senators, two Democrat and one Republican, to develop a set of bipartisan health care recommendations for the country. Chris Jennings is a staff director for the project. He says the former senators hope their efforts will help break through the current political gridlock in Washington.
Jennings: The stakeholders are ready for a big health policy debate, but some of the policy makers in Washington are still having a hard time finding ways to get consensus.
Jennings says input from forum will assist the senators in developing their healthcare recommendations, but that nothing will be disclosed until after the November elections.
Funding for health care coverage on KCUR has been provided by the Health Care Foundation of Greater Kansas City.
Download recent health stories or subscribe to the KCUR Health Podcast">KCUR Health Podcast