Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Wed February 20, 2013
Search Continues For Missing JJ's Employee
One person still remains unaccounted for after last night's fire and explosion at JJ's restaurant on the Country Club Plaza.
Kansas City officials this morning say they found one person thought to be missing after an explosion and fire at JJ's restaurant on the Country Club Plaza. He was being treated at a local hospital. One restaurant worker has not yet been found.
Kansas City Fire Chief Paul Berardi says there was no sign of the missing female employee since the explosion Tuesday evening. Searchers used cadaver dogs to comb through the rubble. Heavy equipment will remove debris so they can continue the search.
At least 16 people were injured and area hospitals treated people for critical injuries like burns and smoke inhalation.
Investigators won’t be able to look for the cause of the explosion until they complete the search of the wreckage. Witnesses reported a smell of gas in the area before the explosion, and Missouri Gas Energy says it appears a contractor doing underground work struck a natural gas line.
Find more coverage of the Plaza fire from KCUR here.
Cops & Crime