Most Active Stories
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Where Are The Best Places To Dine Outside In The KC Area?
- New President And CEO For The National World War I Museum
- Overland Park Mosque Plans Big Expansion
- Missouri House Votes To Repeal Mandatory Motorcycle Helmet Law
Kansas City Public Schools
Thu March 1, 2012
School Board President Trains Others To Take His Place
Missouri lawmakers are considering bills that could eliminate the Kansas City school board, or even dissolve the district.
So it might not come as a surprise that no one is on the April third ballot for three open seats on the school board. But recently, seven people have filed to run as write-in candidates.
School board president Airick Leonard West has been holding training sessions for would-be candidates and supporters. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross asked West about the future of the board in this current climate.
Airick Leonard West, with his organization Kansas Citians United for Educational Achievement, is running School Board School tomorrow (Saturday, March 3, 2012) at Rockhurst Community Center. To RSVP or for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Board Candidates in the April 3rd Election:
1st Subdistrict: Arthur Benson, John Hile (both on the ballot)
3rd Subdistrict: incumbent Duane Kelly, Adam Schieber (both write-in)
5th Subdistrict: Demonte Rochester, Candace Koba, Curtis Rogers (all write-in)
At-large: Lyne't Smith, Lon Swearingen (both write-in)