Most Active Stories
- Blue Valley High Lost A 'Star In The Making'
- Portraits And Party Scenes From Kansas City's Drag Ball Culture Revealed
- Music In The '90s: Was There A 'KC Sound'?
- Preschool Trauma Program In Kansas City Getting National Attention
- Kansas City Grocer's Hand-Painted Signs Are A Lost Art In The Modern Age
Kansas City Public Schools
Thu March 1, 2012
School Board President Trains Others To Take His Place
Missouri lawmakers are considering bills that could eliminate the Kansas City school board, or even dissolve the district.
So it might not come as a surprise that no one is on the April third ballot for three open seats on the school board. But recently, seven people have filed to run as write-in candidates.
School board president Airick Leonard West has been holding training sessions for would-be candidates and supporters. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross asked West about the future of the board in this current climate.
Airick Leonard West, with his organization Kansas Citians United for Educational Achievement, is running School Board School tomorrow (Saturday, March 3, 2012) at Rockhurst Community Center. To RSVP or for more information, email email@example.com.
School Board Candidates in the April 3rd Election:
1st Subdistrict: Arthur Benson, John Hile (both on the ballot)
3rd Subdistrict: incumbent Duane Kelly, Adam Schieber (both write-in)
5th Subdistrict: Demonte Rochester, Candace Koba, Curtis Rogers (all write-in)
At-large: Lyne't Smith, Lon Swearingen (both write-in)