Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon March 28, 2011
Remembering Gospel Composer, Choir Leader Michael Charles
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – This month, Kansas City said goodbye to a local leader in gospel music and education. Michael Charles passed away suddenly on March 9, 2011 at the age of 64, of liver cancer.
Throughout his career, Michael Charles performed around the country with gospel greats such as James Cleveland, Richard Smallwood and the Mighty Clouds of Joy. He worked in the Kansas City Missouri school district, and served as minister of music at Saint James United Methodist Church for 23 years.
KCUR's Susan Wilson occasionally sang with Michael Charles there. She attended his memorial service last week and brought back this remembrance.