Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Thu January 8, 2009
Public Art on Metcalf Avenue
Metcalf Avenue runs almost the entire length of Overland Park, Kansas. With as many as 40 thousand vehicles traveling along it each day, it's not considered the most pedestrian friendly street. But a revitalization is underway, including a focus on increased walkability.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – A new steel and glass sculpture at the corner of 103rd and Metcalf projects some of the changes ahead and also reflects the past.
"Pierced Sky," 18'x14'x3', to honor Joseph Cohen and Barton P. Cohen, by sculptor Matt Kirby. Located at the southwest corner of 103rd and Metcalf, Overland Park, Kansas.
Listen to recent coverage on the Vision Metcalf plan from KCUR: Reactions to Metcalf Development Plan, by Laura Ziegler and Jennifer Galt (2008-02-21), and
The Walt Bodine Show (2008-02-21), available on the
Walt Bodine Audio Archives (just use the search term "Metcalf").
Download recent arts stories or subscribe to the KCUR Arts Podcast