Most Active Stories
- What Would A Sprint, T-Mobile Merger Mean For Kansas City?
- Missouri Creates Unique Medical Classification: Assistant Physician
- Food Critics: Where To Find The Best Slice Of Pizza In Kansas City
- Food Critics: The Best Happy Hour In Kansas City
- Here's What You Need To Know About KCPS-Academie Lafayette Plan
Cops & Crime
Tue April 23, 2013
Platte County, MO Judge Imposes Double Life Terms In Murders of Sisters
A 32-year-old Kansas City Northland area man will serve two consecutive life sentences after pleading guilty Tuesday in the killings of two sisters in Platte County.
The killer admitted murdering the pair while high on methamphetamine.
If for some reason Clifford Miller ever walks free on one conviction, his life term will be reinforced by the second sentence.
Miller admitted to killing 19-year-old Britny Haarup at her Edgerton home last July, and 22-year-old Ashley Key who was staying there.
Prosecution evidence said Miller’s sexual advances were thwarted by Key who awoke and resisted the attacker.
The murders happened as Haarup’s 5-month-old and 18-month-old were close by.
The women's bodies were dumped along a rural road.
Haarup’s father told the court that Britney’s family is devastated and cannot imagine having to tell her children what happened to their mother and aunt.