Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Sun June 3, 2012
PHOTOS: What Kansas Looked Like Then And What It Looks Like Now
If you happen to stand in one spot in a Kansas town or city, did you ever wonder what things looked like 100+ years ago?
If so, “then and now” books are just the ticket. They are part of a genre that uses photos to contrast the past with the present in cities and states around the country.
Kansas City historian Monroe Dodd’s “Kansas Then and Now” is fourth in a series of books about the region; the other three were about Kansas City. Featuring historical scenes from Kansas plains and prairie, the photos take you back to when Kansas was a territory and to the late 20th century.
Follow along with the slideshow as KCUR's Susan B. Wilson talks to Monroe Dodd about their favorite photographs exploring Kansas' past and present.