Most Active Stories
- Hobby Lobby Ruling A Win For Kansas City Construction Company
- The Story Behind Kansas City's House Of Cards
- Johnson County Ranked One Of The 'Easiest' Places To Live In U.S.
- Neighborhoods In Kansas City's Historic Northeast Move Beyond City Ordinance
- Missouri And Kansas Among Worst States For New Parents
Wed October 14, 2009
More Sentences To Come In Johnson County Prostitution Ring
Kansas city, MO – A Kansas City Federal District Court judge is scheduled to sentence a woman who is described in court records as chief operator of a sizeable prostitution ring, using dozens of women recruited from China.
Investigators say women forced to work in the Olathe and Overland Park massage parlors were under constant surveillance video cams.
They performed from 9 in the morning to 11 at night seven days a week. Many had their identities stolen to prevent their escape. 46 year old Ling Xu will be sentenced Wednesay.
Law suggests a sentence up to 42 years without parole. Two other defendants, men who are Chinese nationals, sentenced yesterday, faced as many as 40 years prison. After a review of sentencing guidelines, Judge Fernando Gaitan sentenced each to 5 years.
The purported lead owner of the parlors, Xu is in the U.S. legally after seeking asylum when she entered the country. She wired at least $340,000 to China in 2005 and 06. It was prostitution proceed money. She will forfeit any recovered profits.
Prosecutors describe the defunct operation as a form of modern day slavery.