Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Mon January 23, 2012
More Than 1,000 Gather For Anti-Abortion Rally
More than 1,000 anti-abortion activists gathered at the Kansas Statehouse today. The annual rally coincides with the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision by the U.S. Supreme Court that legalized abortion.
The crowd heard from politicians like pro-life Governor Sam Brownback.
"I said this last year, and it's more true this year: Kansas is now a pro-life state, and we're not going back," Brownback told the crowd, which cheered in response.
Last session, lawmakers passed several laws putting tighter restrictions on abortions and abortion providers. Kansans for Life Executive Director Mary Kay Culp says they’ll be pursing additional restrictions this year.
"We have a legislative agenda for this year," Culp said. "What we're interested in is keep on the march we're on, which is an incremental approach to this."
Culp says abortion opponents will pursue stronger laws protecting physicians and pharmacists who choose not to take part in abortions or dispense drugs that can terminate a pregnancy.