Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon January 23, 2012
More Than 1,000 Gather For Anti-Abortion Rally
More than 1,000 anti-abortion activists gathered at the Kansas Statehouse today. The annual rally coincides with the anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision by the U.S. Supreme Court that legalized abortion.
The crowd heard from politicians like pro-life Governor Sam Brownback.
"I said this last year, and it's more true this year: Kansas is now a pro-life state, and we're not going back," Brownback told the crowd, which cheered in response.
Last session, lawmakers passed several laws putting tighter restrictions on abortions and abortion providers. Kansans for Life Executive Director Mary Kay Culp says they’ll be pursing additional restrictions this year.
"We have a legislative agenda for this year," Culp said. "What we're interested in is keep on the march we're on, which is an incremental approach to this."
Culp says abortion opponents will pursue stronger laws protecting physicians and pharmacists who choose not to take part in abortions or dispense drugs that can terminate a pregnancy.