Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Up to Date
Wed March 21, 2012
Million Dollar Quartet
On December 4, 1956, a twist of fate brought Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Elvis Presley together.
Sam Phillips, the “Father of Rock ‘n’ Roll” who was responsible for launching the careers of each icon, brought the four legendary musicians together at the Sun Records storefront studio in Memphis for the first and only time. The resulting evening became known as one of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll jam sessions in history. It’s the story of the Broadway musical, "Million Dollar Quartet", on stage at the Kauffman Center through Sunday.
In the final portion of Wednesday’s Up to Date, Steve Kraske talks with actors Chrisopher Grant who portrays Sam Phillips and Independence native Austin Cook, the understudy for Jerry Lee Lewis, about the true story of each artist’s career on that memorable night.
HEAR MORE: "Million Dollar Quartet" plays at the Kauffman Center for the Performing arts today through Sunday March 25. Click here for tickets.