Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Cops & Crime
Tue March 6, 2012
Metro Squad Joins KCK Double Murder Probe
The Metropolitan Major Case Squad has been assigned to help Kansas City, Kansas police find the killer or killers of a man and a teenage girl on Saturday.
A baby in the apartment was wounded and survived.
Police say 16-year-old Renesha Jones was baby-sitting her sister's child and was killed by gunfire. The baby’s father, 21-year-old Keith Barrett was also killed near Mill and Federal Streets in the Rosedale district. The baby was treated at a hospital for minor injuries.
The Metro Squad brings 14 detectives from around the region to augment the KCK department. The theory when the M Squad was formed decades ago was the more investigators to follow leads, the better chances of resolving a case.
According to police, witnesses saw several people with guns leaving the apartment after the shooting. As is common in Metro Squad cases, informants are invited to call the Crime Stoppers Hotline at 474-TIPS.