Most Active Stories
- Historians Recommend The Best 20 Books About Kansas City
- Report: Medicaid Expansion In Missouri Would Yield Up to $100M In Annual Savings
- First-Ever National Coal Ash Regs Disappoint Missouri Environmentalists
- School Closings In The Kansas City Metro For January 7
- How The Kansas-Missouri State Line Became A Road
Cops & Crime
Tue March 6, 2012
Metro Squad Joins KCK Double Murder Probe
The Metropolitan Major Case Squad has been assigned to help Kansas City, Kansas police find the killer or killers of a man and a teenage girl on Saturday.
A baby in the apartment was wounded and survived.
Police say 16-year-old Renesha Jones was baby-sitting her sister's child and was killed by gunfire. The baby’s father, 21-year-old Keith Barrett was also killed near Mill and Federal Streets in the Rosedale district. The baby was treated at a hospital for minor injuries.
The Metro Squad brings 14 detectives from around the region to augment the KCK department. The theory when the M Squad was formed decades ago was the more investigators to follow leads, the better chances of resolving a case.
According to police, witnesses saw several people with guns leaving the apartment after the shooting. As is common in Metro Squad cases, informants are invited to call the Crime Stoppers Hotline at 474-TIPS.