Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Thu December 17, 2009
Master Luthier Finds Voice in Wood
Anton Krutz believes that string instruments resonate with people in a unique way. And he'll tell you that it takes more than quality wood and a good craftsman to make a great sounding instrument. It's the varnish that counts.
By Tim Bridgham
Merriam, KS – Anton Krutz worked in prestigious shops around the country before he opened his own here in Merriam over twenty years ago. KC Strings is now is the only American shop making professional level violins, violas, cellos and basses. Krutz sat down with KCUR's Tim Bridgham to talk about the art of making a metal string and a wooden box into an instrument.