Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Mon May 17, 2010
Manute Bol Hospitalized In Virginia On Way Back To Olathe
Kansas City, Mo. – Manute Bol was recognized on the basketball court for his legendary skill as a center. Off the court, he's become known for his work helping to restore peace and prosperity in his native Sudan, as well as for his remarkable 7'7" height.
Bol was on his way home to Olathe from Southern Sudan when he fell ill.
He underwent emergency dialysis for kidney failure. He got immediate medication for a rare skin disease known as Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. It came on as an allergic reaction to pain medication.
Speaking from Manute's bedside last night, his cousin, George Bol said the skin condition is very painful - Bol has lost skin over 10% of his body.
"He might be getting transferred in the next 48 hours to a different hospital that has a burn unit,or a better burn unit."
Manute Bol has been building schools around his village in the Twic county in Southern Sudan. He's also been monitoring the peace agreement between the South and Khartoum government in the North. Bol wanted to be there to help maintain peace and fairness during April elections.