Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed November 3, 2010
Longtime OP Mayor Becomes JoCo Chair
Overland Park, KS – Longtime Overland Park Mayor Ed Eilert unseated Johnson County Commission Chair Annabeth Surbaugh, 52 to 47. Surbaugh has served on the commission for almost 20 years.
A few dozen supporters cheered when Commissioner Eilert announced the final results. They were gathered at the Doubletree Hotel in Overland Park. Eilert said he plans to take the county in a new direction, and will react more aggressively to the changing economy.
"I think it's important that we go to work, analyze our assets, develop some strategies and bring more jobs to Johnson County," Eilert said.
He also said a handful people at his election party have supported him since he first ran for mayor more than 30 years ago.