Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Mon September 25, 2006
Links: African American Women's Philanthropy Club
By Sylvia Maria Gross
Kansas City, MO – Links, Incorporated was founded 60 years ago by two young African American women in Philadelphia who wanted to bring together a small group of friends to contribute to the life of their community. Similar groups spread around the country; they were small clubs dedicated to charitable giving. A Kansas City chapter was founded in 1951; there's now two groups in the area. Shelley McThomas-Bryant and Nancy Butler are both members of the Greater Kansas City Chapter of Links. McThomas-Bryant says there used to be an air of secrecy about the organization.
The Greater Kansas City Chapter of Links holds a fundraiser this Saturday at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. It will include a silent auction and a fashion show, featuring former America's Top Model Contestant Furonda Brasfield.