Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Thu September 1, 2011
KC School Board Picks Interim Superintendent
By Steve Bell
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Kansas City, Missouri has a new interim school superintendent to replace Dr. John Covington who resigned one week ago to take a more lucrative job in Michigan.
The board was under pressure to act quickly - with the state commissioner of education in town and a review of its accreditation status looming. But there is little doubt that the interim superintendent is qualified.
Dr. Steve Green has headed the Kauffman Scholars program here since 2005, and has been an instructional superintendent in New York City schools and executive director of the College Board.
Green promises a steady and student-centered course: " We will seek to address the uh challenges that we face, head on,. But we will celebrate our successes and make sure that students realize that we appreciate and recognize them as successful, potential leaders in this community."
Commissioner of education Chris Nicastro told the board she was impressed with their ability to resolve their differences and move ahead, but that she was still concerned about this year's decline in achievement test scores.