Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Thu September 18, 2008
KC Mayor Vetoes Measure To Get His Wife Out Of City Hall
Kansas City – For months, members of the City Council, and others, have complained about the role Gloria Squitiro, Funkhouser's wife, plays in the mayor's office. Squitiro puts in upwards of 20 hours a week, making calls, following policy, and --apparently-
annoying people. Last week the council voted 12-1 (Funkhouser being the 1) passing an ordinance prohibiting family volunteers (i.e. Squitiro) from working in city offices. Last night, Funkhouser vetoed it.
Funkhouser: "This is embarrassing, not to me, not to Gloria, but to the city. I will not let anyone dictate how I run my office. I work with, not for you. I work for the residents of Kansas City."
Councilwoman Jan Marcason sponsored the ordinance. She says it could have been a less contentious.
Marcason: "You had 12 people who say this is a good thing. That should have stopped the conversation right there. You had a united council."
Funkhouser has threatened to sue the council if they override his veto next week.