Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu June 21, 2012
KC Makers And The Democratizing Of Manufacturing
The maker movement is about changing the way things are made. It's been called a new industrial revolution, with a focus on building things in garages or community workspaces, instead of in factories. It’s like the DIY crafts movement, only for engineers and hackers instead of knitters.
This weekend at the MAKER FAIR and Skills USA Techspo, crafters, inventors, hackers, scientists and artists are coming together to show off what they’ve been working on in their garages all year. But, after the fairs end, where do these makers gather year round? That’s the where the Make KC, and the Fab Lab at Metropolitan Community College come in.
ANOTHER KC LAB SPACE WORTH EXPLORING:
The Hammerspace Workshop in Brookside is a 7000 square foot facility that's home to Kansas City's community of makers, crafters and inventors. Plus, they even have a "little makers" room for kids. More info here.
CHECK OUT LAST YEAR'S MAKER FAIRE: