Most Active Stories
- Getting To Know Midtown's 'Running Superman'
- Collector And Gallerist Byron Cohen Dies At 72
- Liberty Hospital Announces Layoffs, Citing Pending 'Health Care Storm'
- 5 Things You Should Know About The Genetically Modified Food You’re Probably Eating
- Insight Into The Trials And Joys Of Transgender Relationships
Thu December 15, 2011
KC History: Prairie Fire
UPDATE: Our past guest Julie Courtwright will be speaking this Sunday at 2pm at the Central Branch of the Kansas City Public Library. More info here.
Coming up on the Walt Bodine Show this Friday, an environmental history of the Great Plains through the lens of prairie fires.
Our KC History host Monroe Dodd will speak with Iowa State University History professor Julie Courtwright about her book Prairie Fire: A Great Plains History. She was born in the tallgrass prairie of Butler County, KS, and her book tells the story of how fire – setting it, fighting it, watching it and fearing it – has bound the people of the plains together, and changed our region's environment in in the process.