Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Thu March 1, 2012
The KC Heat Wave Of 1980
Coming up on this Thursday's Central Standard, a look back at pivotal time in Kansas City's history: the heat wave of 1980.
Do you remember that summer when George Brett tried to bat a .400? When the Plaza had a bowling ally? When there were two newspapers every day? A new novel called The Harvest is Past uses fiction to explore what’s changed. We'll speak with author Hughes Keenan about his work.
PLAZA POP QUIZ:*
What’s the name of the German Restaurant that used to be where the Starbucks is now?
Where did you used to eat where the Forever 21 is now?
What was the name of the French bakery, now the site of a popular pizza place?
*Check back later for the answers.
Then later in the hour, get to know an illustrator and toy designer who’s built an international brand around his name.