Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Up to Date
Mon April 30, 2012
Kansas City, Mo Schools: State Takeover Or Start Over?
After years of short-term superintendents, attempted re-inventions and restarts, failing state test scores, and the loss of accreditation, opinions are flying every which way on what to do with the KCMO School District.
Some say that the State of Missouri should take over management of the schools. Mayor Sly James even made a pitch for overseeing the district. Others feel that realignment of the board of education could help make things better. Others say "it's too late to fix it, just start over."
But one thing's for sure: change. What will actually happen?
Monday on Up to Date, Steve Kraske welcomes Missouri State Representative Mike Talboy, KCUR reporter, producer, and KC Currents co-host Sylvia Maria Gross, and Kansas City, Missouri district advisory committee member Jamekia Hendrix to talk about the various options on the table and explain why this complex issue may require an even more complex plan.
Future Of KC Schools