Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Thu December 4, 2008
Kansas City Chorale Gets Grammy Nod
The nominees for the 51st Annual Grammy Awards were announced Wednesday. And for the second year in a row, two choral ensembles led by conductor Charles Bruffy have been included.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – The Kansas City Chorale and Phoenix Chorale received two nominations, Best Small Ensemble Performance and Best Surround Sound Album, for the joint recording Rheinberger: Sacred Choral Works. The Phoenix Chorale has also been nominated for Best Classical Album and Best Choral Performance for the solo recording Spotless Rose: Hymns to the Virgin Mary. Both groups are under the direction of Artistic Director Charles Bruffy, who also directs the Kansas City Symphony Chorus.
The Kansas City Chorale and Phoenix Chorale's joint recording Grechaninov: Passion Week was nominated for four Grammys, and won in 2008 for Best Engineered Album: Classical.
The Grammy Awards are scheduled for live broadcast on Feb 8, 2009.
Download recent arts stories or subscribe to the KCUR Arts Podcast