Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Wed September 8, 2010
Kansas Athletics Director Lew Perkins Resigns Abruptly
Lawrence, KS – The athletics director position at the University of Kansas went through sweeping changes. Lew Perkins is no longer in charge, an interim A.D. is in place and a plan for a successor is underway
Sean Lester was named interim athletics director. He joined the KU athletic staff at the same time as Lew Perkins seven years ago. Like Perkins, Lester also previously worked at the University of Connecticut.
Lester said he was caught off-guard by the sudden departure of Perkins.
"When you get a call to go visit with the chancellor, you don't know what it was about," said Lester.
Lester addressed the media along with basketball coach Bill Self, a staunch supporter of Perkins.
"Lew's done an awful lot for a lot of people around here," said Self.
In a written statement, KU chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little says Lester is not a candidate for the permanent post and hopes to have the new A.D. in place by the latter part of the spring semester in 2011.