Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Thu October 15, 2009
Kansan Dies From H1N1
Kansas City, MO – Kansas health officials say a Kansas City-area woman has died from swine flu, bringing the state's total of fatal H1N1 virus cases to seven.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said Wednesday that the 50-year-old woman's death was reported to the department Tuesday afternoon. Laboratory tests had determined Oct. 5 that she had contracted the virus.
KDHE said that unlike the other six patients who died, the woman did not have an underlying health condition that would make her more susceptible to contracting the virus.
The department noted that swine flu vaccine is beginning to be available in Kansas in very limited quantities.