Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
12th Street Jump
Fri January 6, 2012
Jay McShann With Joe Cartwright
This week on 12th Street Jump, celebrate the music of Kansas City bluesman, jazzman & bandleader Jay McShann with music director & piano man Joe Cartwright.
Jay McShann, who died at St. Luke's Hospital in 2006, was at the forefront of the 1940s blues and hard bop jazz scene in Kansas City. He put together his own big band featuring Charlie Parker, Bernard Anderson & Ben Webster, and it exemplified what's known as the Kansas City sound.
Joe Cartwright is a Kansas City jazz pianist and a graduate of the UMKC Conservatory of Music. He leads his own duo, trio & quartet, and he has worked alongside internationally renowned jazz artists.
McShann’s Boogie Blues
Vine Street Boogie
Come On Over To My House
Hootie’s Ignorant Oil
Ain’t Nobody’s Business
Confessin’ the Blues
Saturday nights at midnight , right after the Fish Fry, on KCUR.