Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
12th Street Jump
Fri January 6, 2012
Jay McShann With Joe Cartwright
This week on 12th Street Jump, celebrate the music of Kansas City bluesman, jazzman & bandleader Jay McShann with music director & piano man Joe Cartwright.
Jay McShann, who died at St. Luke's Hospital in 2006, was at the forefront of the 1940s blues and hard bop jazz scene in Kansas City. He put together his own big band featuring Charlie Parker, Bernard Anderson & Ben Webster, and it exemplified what's known as the Kansas City sound.
Joe Cartwright is a Kansas City jazz pianist and a graduate of the UMKC Conservatory of Music. He leads his own duo, trio & quartet, and he has worked alongside internationally renowned jazz artists.
McShann’s Boogie Blues
Vine Street Boogie
Come On Over To My House
Hootie’s Ignorant Oil
Ain’t Nobody’s Business
Confessin’ the Blues
Saturday nights at midnight , right after the Fish Fry, on KCUR.