Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Up To Date
Mon July 7, 2014
History And Future of Kansas City Scottish Rite Temple
When you think of the Masons, images of secret societies and rituals may come to mind—but what about their architecture?
On Monday's Up to Date we look at a building you may have driven by numerous times but never looked inside. Guest host Brian Ellison takes a look at a the history of the Scottish Rite Temple of Kansas City with a local Mason and a scholar who has written a book on these buildings across the country. Joining them is a local preservationist to talk about re-purposing these types of buildings when their organization can no longer afford to keep them.
Bob Harman is the Personal Representative of the S.G.I.G. Valley of Kansas City and runs the Scottish Rite Temple.
Elizabeth Rosin is principal and owner of Rosin Preservation.
Dr. William D. Moore is an associate professor of American Material Culture at Boston University.