KANSAS CITY, MO – A group of Kansas City residents has filed a petition to recall Kansas City Mayor Mark Funkhouser from office. The group now has 30 days to collect the 16,950 signatures required for a recall election.
The group that is asking for the recall consists of five members and is led by Kansas City resident Saundra Ross. The petition cites six reasons why Funkhouser should be recalled from office. These reasons include:
- Funkhouser's effort to fire City Manager Wayne Cauthen without City Council approval which has "caused a breach of public trust".
- The loss of convention revenue due to Funkhouser's appointment of former Parks Board member Frances Semler.
- $80,000 in missing campaign funds.
- Funkhouser's refusal to meet with African Americans despite his promise to use revenue from a half cent sales tax "to revitalize the economically deprived inner core of the city".
- Funkhouser putting the interest of himself and his wife "above the interest of the electorate".
The Pitch has posted a copy of the petition, it is available here.