Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Wed November 4, 2009
Go Figure (Skating): Not In This Town
Kansas City, Mo. – Factors are consistently working against Kansas City hosting the national figure skating championships. Within the last twelve months, there have been two attempts, two failures.
San Jose will host the 2012 U.S. National Figure Skating event. The decision was made public today.
Kansas City seriously bid, as it did earlier in the year, for the 2011 event. That one went to another city, another state. Over the summer, site selectors were in town to look at the city and at Sprint Center and Kemper arena as a practice arena.
The event pulls in as much as $25 million to the host city.
Granted, a host of figure skaters have close ties to San Jose California, including world champion Peggy Fleming who actively pursued San Jose's quest.
Kansas City arena managers are seeking events and entertainment to fill Sprint, in absence of an anchor tenant.