Most Active Stories
- Historians Recommend The Best 20 Books About Kansas City
- Report: Medicaid Expansion In Missouri Would Yield Up to $100M In Annual Savings
- First-Ever National Coal Ash Regs Disappoint Missouri Environmentalists
- School Closings In The Kansas City Metro For January 7
- LISTEN: Kansas City Poet Stanley Banks On Driving While Black
Tue September 7, 2010
Giant Stamp Collection in a Northland Cave
Kansas City, MO – You might think of caves as a natural habitat for bats. But it turns out that the environment inside the caves at the industrial complex Hunt Midwest SubTropolis is also perfect for postage stamps.
Since 1982, the United States Postal Service's Stamp Fulfillment Center has stored postage stamps for the entire country inside of these caves just north of the river near the Ameristar Casino. 10,000 postage orders a day are filled here - from businesses, individuals, and even collectors. KCUR's Susan B. Wilson recently paid a visit.