Most Active Stories
- The Fate And Future Of Wyandotte County's Sauer Castle
- The Coolest Rock Concert In Kansas City You Never Knew About
- Two Kansas City Area Schools Ranked In News Site's Top 25 List
- St. Joseph, Missouri School District's Legal And Political Troubles Mount
- Food Critics: The Best Fine Dining In Kansas City
Tue September 7, 2010
Giant Stamp Collection in a Northland Cave
Kansas City, MO – You might think of caves as a natural habitat for bats. But it turns out that the environment inside the caves at the industrial complex Hunt Midwest SubTropolis is also perfect for postage stamps.
Since 1982, the United States Postal Service's Stamp Fulfillment Center has stored postage stamps for the entire country inside of these caves just north of the river near the Ameristar Casino. 10,000 postage orders a day are filled here - from businesses, individuals, and even collectors. KCUR's Susan B. Wilson recently paid a visit.