Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Archeology Bolsters Background Of Historic Kansas City Homestead
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Mon March 14, 2011
Generation Rap's 'Granddad' Steps Down
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jim Nunnelly is stepping down as the coordinator of the Generation Rap radio show, which airs every Saturday morning on Hot 103 Jamz--that's the urban contemporary station KPRS.
The show started in 1987, and soon after, Nunnelly took on the role of "Granddad." And for the last 12 years, he's supervised while a changing cast of high school students have taken on more and more responsibility for the show.
But it's more than a radio show. KCUR's Sylvia Maria Gross and Susan Wilson went to KPRS to watch the show in action, and Susan sat down with Jim Nunnelly to find out how Generation Rap has become a springboard to success for generations of local teens.