Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- Contentious Views Dominate Female Bishop's Tenure
- Food Critics: Best Sausage In And Around Kansas City
Wed June 3, 2009
Gamelan Creates Community of Performers
Gamelan, the orchestral music of Indonesia, is praised for its color, rhythmic structure and lyrical melodies. And it's an important part of parades, festivals, and ceremonies.
By Laura Spencer
Kansas City, MO – The largest Balinese ensemble in North America, Gamelan Genta Kasturi, is based in Kansas City, at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.
KCUR's Laura Spencer spoke with the past director and founder: Balinese composer, scholar, and performer I Ketut Ged? Asnawa and current director: musician and composer Patrick Alonzo Conway.
Gamelan Genta Kasturi
Saturday, June 6, 2009 7:30 pm
UMKC University Center 5000 Holmes
Kansas City MO 64110
Gamelan Genta Kasturi presents a free concert of traditional and modern Balinese music and dance with special guests I Ketut Ged? Asnawa and family.
Download recent arts stories or subscribe to the KCUR Arts Podcast