Most Active Stories
- New Lawsuit Alleges Racial Discrimination At Power And Light
- Marathon Spelling Bee Makes Celebrities Out Of Kansas City Area Spellers
- Kansas Supreme Court Rules School Funding Formula Unconstitutional
- How You Get Out Of Speeding Tickets In Kansas City
- Marathon Jackson County Spelling Bee Finally Ends
Fri April 29, 2011
Funkhouser Vetoes Plaza High-Rise
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Mayor Mark Funkhouser ends his final day in office with one last clash with the city council.
The mayor has vetoed the resolutions and ordinance that was to allow the building of a controversial high-rise office building on the Country Club Plaza.
The mayor issued a statement in which he said he feared the Plaza is nearing a "tipping point" that would irreversibly change the historic shopping center and cost more jobs than the council hopes to save by allowing the office building to be built.
The zoning change to allow the office building was passed Thursday by an outgoing city council at its last meeting.
The mayor's move puts any veto override attempt in the laps of a brand new city council embarking on new terms.